Monday, October 15, 2012

October 15: Some More Bits of Randomness

Happy Birthday, Wayne!

Wow, progress on the project is truly visible and this is really only Day 1.  Here are a couple shots of the concrete floor being poured - nothing else will happen until the 7 inches of concrete is dry in a few days.  Interesting operation.  Actually it is 7 inches thick at the garage door opening and slopes up to 2 inches, but that is a LOT of concrete and it was about an 8 hour job!  NOT US!


 
 
The next bit of randomness has to do with the fact that we are doing our first show for our woodworking business next Saturday. The tables used must be covered to the floor so I make denim coverings that can be dressed up or down as needed.  They need more pressing, but I am proud of the fact that these worked out and the pattern was of my own creation.  Not quilting or rock science, but I love it when a plan comes together.

 



 

 
 
Finally, several fun thoughts from the woodworking I did this weekend.  I used the band saw to rough cut about 15 more comfort crosses - wanted to do more, but the band saw motor disagreed and is now having a motor transplant.  I earned this is a woodworking injury this weekend - I am pretty cautious around power tools, but who would have guessed that a sander could bring tears to my eyes..  We practice safety and try very hard to think of what we are doing as we work.  I had been using the spindle sander and the belt sander for several weeks to work on my comfort crosses and have a very good relationship with it, but I got a bit distracted in my thoughts about shaping the edges and buzzed my knuckle.  Who would ever guess it could be that uncomfortable.  Remember skinned knees that did not bleed right away?  Well this one is now 3 days old and still a little damp.  Guess who wore gloves on Sunday and Monday while sanding.  Aren't you proud of me for finding a solution so I could continue working???  My hands are rejoicing even as I type!
 
Accounting test on Friday and 3 papers to write so I need these  fingers to be working!  teehee
 
Life is GOOD!


No comments: