Thursday, October 25, 2012

October 25: Fun Surprise Along with ShopTime

This sure does look like a little innocent snow, but this is where the wind blew.
We managed to get an inch out of this bit of fluff!  We take any kind of
moisture we can get. (Taken at 6:45 this morning.)

These are some of the ruler racks that we are making for our next show.  We are doing a booth at a quilt show, so we are making tools that a quilter could use.  We will have a number of quilt themed gifts, as well.  Kevin has been busy building and I have been SANDING AND SANDING!

 
 
I had to take time to run some shop errands to find some sanding belts.  It might have seemed an easy errand, but I ended up having to go to 4 different home improvement stores to them.  When I got back it was time for some supper.  Dad made the egg noodles and I made the chicken soup.  Back down in the shop I worked on making a routed bowl and sanding more on the ruler racks.

I am also making quite a few more comfort crosses.  I love transforming the simple pieces of wood into these wonderful symbols of Jesus' love.  Somehow working on these give me a sense of quiet joy and peace.  Last weekend, it really made me feel good when people were holding the crosses and smiling as they read my little card about them.  I have spent time over the last few days using a number of different sanding techniques to make each one of these comfort crosses smooth and comfortable in my hand.  Tomorrow I will put the first coat of a clear satin hand-rubbed poly finish on them.  That is another transformation that I enjoy.  It always amazes me to see the deep inner beauty in each piece drawn out with a little more gentle attention followed up with vigorous rubbing with a buffing wheel.  The MASTER creator is responsible for giving each piece of wood its own unique appearance and for guiding my hand to shape them.  It feels so good to be creating in wood.

Just so you know, I have also been stitching a couple of bindings and working on my school work - lots of papers to write in the next few weeks.  I am busy, but I love all the choices we are making!

Life is GOOD!


No comments: