Friday, June 29, 2012

June 29:Heat, Humidity, Headaches

It is pretty warm today and has been for a few.  The humidity seems to be saying if it were just tweaked a bit it would be 100% rain.  My head says "Throb-throb-throb!"  I can't really say it is  a full blown headache but I do know where all my sinus passages are located.  My hearing is also "fuzzy".  Thankfully by setting the air conditioning on 80 we are able to keep the humidity at bay.  What did the first settlers do????? Is that why South Dakota is so underpopulated?  (I have lived in New Orleans so I know the humidity thing is relative, and that here it is not a permanent condition of summer, but when it is here I really do count air conditioning among my blessings!

Summer has never been my favorite season.  When I was a kid we used to joke that I took a "lil" while my sisters tanned.  Lil would be short for lily of the valley or white.  Many days I had to either stay inside or wear long sleeves and long pants - talk about heat and humidity then!  I was either pasty white or red like a lobster.  I use sunblock now and stay pasty for my health, but my hair is actually whiter than my skin, so.....

Even so, like Pollyanna I will continue to play the glad game.  I am glad it is not hailing or so dry that we have to fear brush fires.  I am glad we are not living in hurricane territories and that earthquakes are not of major concern right here.   I glad that in the middle of winter, I will be able to think of these hot, humid, sticky days and be glad that it s 20 below and the furnance is able to keep us comfortable.  Thank goodness for the 4 seasons of South Dakota!!!!

And as my mother would say, "This too shall pass."

Life is GOOD!

No comments: