Monday, November 5, 2012

Novemeber 5: One Last Thought - WHINING, YES!

DISCLAIMERtopic may gross you out!

Last Monday, I had the toe nail removed on my left big toe.  It is the same toe that I broke in 2 places when I went to get a pedicure two years ago.  I have had 2 other tries at having my toenail removed, but those tires did not work.  This time I sucked it up, let the doctor stick me with the needles, and let him do what needed to be done to tug the whole nail out.

Up until Thursday, I was cheering the whole procedure as a success.  Then the toe started to ache but I was thinking it was because of the 5 1/2 hour drive to Iowa.  By Friday morning it was throbbing continuously, and as we worked our first day of the quilt show it just continued getting more uncomfortable.  By the end of the evening my toe was super swollen and very shiny.  The nail bed was bloody and painful.  I slept in a recliner for the night, at least when I was able to sleep.

Saturday morning found me getting a little crazy because of the pain.  There was absolutely NO WAY to get comfortable.  I tried hard to suck it up, but finally found myself begging for Kevin to take me to urgent care.  (Did not even care whether we worked the 2nd day of the sale.)  Luckily we were able to get an appointment 2 hours before the show was to open.  When we saw the doctor, she suspected I had a staph infection, so she ran the tests and gave me an antibiotic and a pain killer.  I definitely needed both.

Kevin and Dad did a great job of keeping me in the chair and off my feet, but I did some stretching.  The medicines did not seem to be helping but I tried to just cope because it really was important to us to do well on this sale.  As we traveled home, 5 1/2 hours, I knew it would be tough, but I just wanted to be home.

I again slept in a chair when I was able to sleep.  Church did not happen because the aching was just too much.  Sunday I slept, and slept and slept some more.  I did soak my foot several times, but nothing seemed to improve the situation. SO........, I decided that school was out for Monday and I planned a call to my doctor the moment I woke up or at least as soon as the office opened.

Today, I tried to study as I waited for the doctor appointment, but that was just not happening.  When I did go to the doctor, he confirmed that I had a staph infection and that the antibiotic I had been taking was a good choice, but the doctor boosted it by giving me a shot in my left buttocks.  TALK about Pain - still noticing it tonight!  Finally, tonight my big toe is less swollen.  I can see the tiniest bit of light between the big toe and the next.  The huge foot and ankle are just a bit smaller and the pain is just a bit less.  No school again because my shoes do not come close to fitting this blimpy foot.

With all this being said, I believe that I am healing.  I will let you know soon if it really is working out.

Pain or not, LIFE IS GOOD!

No comments: