Sunday, February 3, 2013

February2: She said she would celebrate with a groundhog.



It all started with  strange conversation about birthdays.  I celebrate mine because I am really grateful for every year that I have lived longer than my oldest sister Pam.  My youngest sister does not love her birthday or birthday celebrations, but I caught her in a statement that has caused me to prepare her a party this year.
She said that maybe it would be different if she was able to celebrate with the groundhog.  That is like throwing down a challenge for me.  My new viewing of Pinterest led me to discover that there are even groundhog wedding cake toppers that you can purchase.  BUT this more about making it into a fun celebration than buying a permanent kind of figurine.  I used 2 small tall round cake pans and 2 9"round pans, some store made candy eyes, deviled chocolate cookies, a chocolate wafer thin cookie, and my imagination to recreate these guys.
First I formed the heads.  Then I added a thin glaze type frosting to make it easier to add the other frosting.  Then I baked and frosted the bases after digging out a divet in the center of each.  I placed the heads on the bases.  I frosted it with the best chocolate frosting and then used a comb to rake through the "hair" and used grounded up chocolate chip teddy grahams to look like the dirt that the groundhog comes up through to look for his shadow.  The nose is 1/4 of a chocolate wafer cookie.


I made treat bags filled with RPMs (raisins, peanuts, and M&Ms so that it would feel like my sister Debbie was there to join in the party atmosphere.

By the way, Jodie's birthday is in early February so...Happy Birthday, Baby Sister!

Life is GOOD1

No comments: