Saturday, January 19, 2013

Jamuary 19: Life

We ventured out to find Kevin the ammo he needs for his shooting match today.  Seems that everyone that owns a gun is also looking for this particular type.  There was nothing on the shelves at Scheel's or Cabela's -- not one box.  Those are the largest stores we tried.  Seems the smaller stores have been out since the government started the new conversation about gun control. 

Never though this topic would appear in my blog, but I am going to share just a little of my thinking.  It appears that the bad behavior of a few has once again caused those that abide by our laws to pay the price.  I am not a strong advocate of everyone being able to have a gun, but I am not opposed to those that are responsible and law abiding having them.  I would not even object to mandatory redoing of  gun ownership checks (Which would still only get the responses of those that are not planning harm to others, but it would be a start.)   I am not opposed to texting, cell phone use, or mascara either, but I can tell you that I am opposed to doing any of those things while driving a car, truck, or any other motor vehicle of any type.  This is the same feeling about the ownership and use of guns -  there is a time and a place for each of these, but ........  Just so you know, I feel the same way about computers and social media - used responsibly they are beneficial, but other use their words to do harm.

While chatting with a young man, in his 30s from another country the other day, we talked about hatred and angry.  He was very insightful about it.  The conversation concluded with him saying that these things are internalized when others with a presumed sense of authority continually espouse the kind of talk and actions that they want others to accept.  They twist various Bible or Koran scriptures, or they make claims that what they teach is from these sources when these words and concepts can not be found in an line of text.  He said the best defense against all of this is education -  LEARNING to READ and THINK for YOURSELF.  It was a very powerful discussion.

Saw a sign the other day and am truly considering hanging it somewhere for foolish people to see.  It simple says:

Bring Back Common Sense
 
 
Yes, I am a conservative.  I also believe that there should be another sign that says:
 
 
If your intention is to harm others, you MAY NOT purchase, borrow, or steal  a CAR, a GUN, or ANY OTHER ITEM that can help you to complete your dreadful plan.
 
 
I also try to practice my faith and am willing to see your point of view and help you if  you are willing to also help yourself.  Jesus said we are to love our neighbors as ourselves, but if we do not love ourselves how can we love others.  The third sign would say:
 
 
If something is going wrong in your life, seek help before you harm yourself or others.  Feel free to shout for help until someone finally offers you help, but do no physical harm in your attempt to be heard.  Harming others will not make anyone feel better or more compassionate about your situation. Don't let your actions destroy the peace and safety of others.


If I have offended you, let me know why.  To me this is my version of common sense and living my faith.  Everything is about the choices we make in how to live our lives.

Life is GOOD!