Monday, January 14, 2013

January 14: Not a Cold, so.......Plus a Quilting Question

Well, I am guessing that I must have had some little tickle of allergic proportions yesterday.  Today I am sporting just a bit of the sneezing aspect.  Still, not going to lean over and pick out that quilting yet today.  Hate the idea of the headache that would probably develop.

************************************
Quilters: What is your favorite method of putting together pre-quilted blocks? Dad did a set of 16 blocks on his embroidery machine and now it is my turn to transform them into a small 40x40 quilt with no borders. HELP, I want an fast way, but I don't really want to just machine stitch them together.
************************************

Wow, what a different a week makes.  Looked back to see what I said I was planning to do about my courses.  First I was planning to hold the line at 12 credits, then I was able to get into a newly formed section of a course I really wanted.  Faced the dilemma of what one to drop or if I should keep them all.  Went to class on Friday and found out that the one instructor I really wanted for a class was being moved to teach some other sections, so I have gone back to my original plan of 12 credits.  All of them are very computer - hands-on.
  • InDesign
  • Web Design
  • Social Media in Marketing
  • Advanced Microcomputer Applications
Each and every one of these classes will challenge me simply because there is so much that I have neglected to learn about computers over the years, but I am already feeling more liberated about what I am doing.  This is exciting stuff for a 59 1/2 year old.

Today, in InDesign, we made a snowman, a tic-tac-toe game, a scary block man, 3 differently outlined blocks, and a text message in red with a black outline.  I think I will hang it on my frig or send copies to my grandkids for their frigs.  As simplistic as it all sounds there was a great deal learned to accomplish this.

Then in Social Media in Marketing, we used Facebook to do research on two companies - a cupcake shop and a real estate one.  It was very interesting to experiment, but there was a bit of a challenge when we were then supposed to post a snippet of our post to the class forum for grading purposes.  Mac users seemed to have easiest time of it, but we PC users are a determined lot and found our way into the game, as well.

Still very unsure about getting too involved in a personal Facebook account, but I may do it just so I can learn a few more of the ins and outs.  For now, I am sticking with the class group portion and will do some more thinking about this over the next week.

************************************
I did get some walking in today.  Had to change it up because of all the scheduling changes I was making and the fact that the color copiers were not working well for making my portfolio copies for class, but believe me, the stairs factored in much more than I expected.  My laps were more like doing a figure 8 repeatedly on the stairs.  I did get in the four full laps but added about 8 extra sets of the steps (two flights in each set).  That going up is a little tough on my old knees.  The bike has not been used yet because of the schedule, but I will give myself a little more time to let dinner settle and then I will do the 10 miles.  I really want this to be a real routine for me.

Life is GOOD!

No comments: