Monday, January 21, 2013

January 21: Note to Self

Some things are great investments just because; while others are good investments----PERIOD! 

The other day I decided to try out a new carving glove made of Kevlar.  I have other work gloves but I am planning to try some figure carving so they seemed like a practical investment.  Today I cleared off my carving bench and worked on some "Seeds of Hope"  where I hand carve a heart in the center are of a bean shape.  Then I sand and sand to create a very smooth surface.  I use both sand paper with elbow grease and power tools.  I was using my Dremel flex shaft attachment to round over the outside edges of the seed.  Not an issue.  All was going well.  Then I gently bumped the spinning bit into the glove which is a bit to big for my small hand.  The Kevlar stopped the spinning bit cold - ruined the attachment, but not a nick on me!  When on sanding with other power sanders and such, but I am thinking it could have been a serious injury if it had been my skin and not the glove that was involved

Note to self:  Kevlar glove works great, but need to find a bit smaller one so there will not be no repeat performance.

Have all 10 fingers!  Life is GOOD!

No comments: