Tuesday, July 3, 2012

June 3: Baking, Etc

Thursday Dad will be 80.  Not that long ago I considered 80 to be a very old person, but not so much with my FIL. Sure he can't do everything he wants to do as quickly and his hearing has go to pot, but he is very much an active senior citizen, who loves to be in the thick of things.  We are going to celebrate on his actual day very quietly and then on Sunday with his family.  (Jamie and her family will arrive Thursday night late and be here for the whole weekend.)  I am ordering a ice cream cake for the Sunday gathering because no Hempel function is done right without ice cream in some form.

Although Dad does not like to have attention drawn to him, but he is pleased that we are inviting people for a meal.  Thus, he baked his chocolate chip cookies.  I told him there would be a couple of chores when he moved in:  baking chocolate chip cookies, doing dishes after meals, and on rare occasions making his famous chocolate pie.  He loves make treats that bring smiles to people.

My daughter and chocolate do not get along so I was thinking peanut butter cookies or oatmeal ones.    Then I saw a new kind of chip, at least to me.  Hershey's Cinnamon Chips!!!  I love cinnamon, so a new plan formed.  Dad would happily have made them, but I decided to forge ahead while they are at his hearing appointment  .I used the recipe on the back of the bag of cinnamon chips and doubled it.  I made half cookies with peanut butter chips, and the other half went into a pan of bars with cinnamon chips and craisins.  Don't know how everyone else will like them but the smells coming from the kitchen are more than YUMMY! and my taste treat was delicious!  Therefore, I am sharing the recipe and giving credit to Hershey's for the basic version. 

Oatmeal Cinnamon Chips Cookies - recipe from Hershey's

1 c softened butter                                         
1 c brown sugar
1/3 c sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 c quick cooking oatmeal
10 oz bag of cinnamon chips
3/4 c raisins

Mix in order.  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.  Makes about 4 doz.

My Cinnamon Chip Version:  Use whatever is left of the cinnamon chips after repeatedly checking for the wondefulness of it all.  ALWAYS substitute craisins in cookies baked by me.  Bake as bars in a lightly sprayed glass baking pan just a little smaller than 9x13 for 22 minutes.

My Peanut Butter Chip Version: Replace cinnamon chips with peanut butter chips and omit the raisins, craisins or whatever.


Life is GOOD!

No comments: